Tags: convert, database, date, db2, experience, mysql, number, oracle, prior, searching, server, sql

sql question: convert number to date or..

On Database » DB2

5,848 words with 7 Comments; publish: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 18:05:00 GMT; (25046.88, « »)

I've been searching for an hour now and can't seem to find an answer. My prior sql experience is with ms sql server, oracle, etc.. so I'm not finding the functions I need, probably because i'm searching using the wrong approach for the problem.. that said, our company was recently bought by a corporation that uses AS400's exclusively, so I have a bit of a learning curve ahead of me as a web intranet app developer I guess:

At any rate, here's my problem:

On the AS400, patient admission dates are stored as a number in this format, YYYYMMDD. What I need to do, is select only the prior 10 days of patient admissions, including the current day.

I've discovered the "Current Day - 10 Day" type approach, but since the admission date is a number, not a date, it won't work. So, I've been trying to find a way to convert the YYYYMMDD number to a date. On IBM's site, they reference a "TO_DATE" function, as well as a "DATE()" function. "TO_DATE" returns 'not found in library', and "DATE()" returns 'conversion error' when I try to feed it the YYYYMMDD number.

The only way I could find to select the prior 10 days, was like so:

Where Substr(Char(pt_admission_date), 1, 4) = Year(Current Date - 10 days)

and Substr(Char(pt_admission_date), 5,2) = Month(Current Date -10 days)

and Substr(Char(pt_admission_date), 7,2) = Day(Current Date - 10 Days)

I know I must be missing something here. There must be a easier way to just convert YYYYMMDD to a date, and subtract 10 days from it.

edit:

Current Date - 10, would then need to be followed by another set, like OR (Current Date - 9), OR Current Date - 8, etc.. which I'm sure has an easier solution also. Thanks.

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 7 Comments
    • DB2/400 is a little different than the other DB2's, and I don't have a DB2/400 manual, but try this:

WHERE ADMISSION_DATE >= (CURRENT DATE 10 DAYS)

If there is an index on admission_date then it might be more efficient to compute current date - 10 days in your program and then issue the command (but not sure if this is necessary). You can get this by:

SELECT (CURRENT DATE - 10 DAYS) INTO :DATE_HOST_VARIABLE FROM ANY-TABLE

#1; Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:49:00 GMT
    • Sorry, I just noticed that the admission_date is not stored as a DB2 date column, but just a number?

If you use:

SELECT (CURRENT DATE - 10 DAYS) INTO :DATE_HOST_VARIABLE FROM ANY-TABLE

Maybe you can parse the host variable and build the numeric number you need to compare dates.

But I am not exactly sure what the date format is in your application because I know that at one time (not sure if this is still true) the same table/file can be accessed by DB2 or the native AS/400 file system.

#2; Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:50:00 GMT
    • where pt_admission_date = date(days(current date) - 10)

date(days(current date) - 10) this will

Here is Example :-

current Date

select current date from sysibm.sysdummy1

----

2003-10-29

current date + 10 days, you can what evere days add or substract

select date(days(current date) + 10) from sysibm.sysdummy1

----

2003-11-08

Let me know if any questions

LekhaRaju Ennam

=== Original Words ===

jwhitener

At any rate, here's my problem:

The only way I could find to select the prior 10 days, was like so:

Where Substr(Char(pt_admission_date), 1, 4) = Year(Current Date - 10 days)

and Substr(Char(pt_admission_date), 5,2) = Month(Current Date -10 days)

and Substr(Char(pt_admission_date), 7,2) = Day(Current Date - 10 Days)

edit:

#3; Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:51:00 GMT
    • === Original Words ===

Marcus_A

DB2/400 is a little different than the other DB2's, and I don't have a DB2/400 manual...

you do now ;)

DB2 Universal Database for iSeries SQL Reference (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r2/ic2924/info/db2/rbafzmst02.htm)

rudy

#4; Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:52:00 GMT
    • I think I will pass.
      #5; Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:53:00 GMT
    • pass?

i wasn't suggesting a download, that's an online manual, bookmark it and you'll never be without it again (as long as you're online)

#6; Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:54:00 GMT
    • I don't work with DB2/400. I just try to help people who have questions. I already handle (and am certified by IBM as a DBA in) OS/390, z/OS, Linux, UNIX, and Windows. That's enough for me.
      #7; Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:55:00 GMT